Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry


Honestly I would never have read this book if a friend in the children's book industry hadn't not only recommended it to me but she sent me the book.  While I do enjoy YA literature and occasionaly science fiction a book about zombies is not a book I would normally pick up.  With a pile of books from the floor to ceiling, not to mention all the advanced readers copies on my kindle last week I finally started ROT & RUIN by Jonathan Maberry and finished it late last night.  Ok, I'll admit it.  I liked it.

Living in a future world where people turn into zombies upon dying, Benny grows up thinking his brother Tom is a coward.  Benny's earliest memory is Tom, much older than him, taking Benny from their mother's arms and running away.  At fifteen Benny learns that Tom is anything but.  The book is scary and graphic but as the cover states it is also full of heart.  That is where it shines. 

Sprinkled with pop culture mentions that made me smile, readers who enjoy the genre will gravitate to ROT & RUIN.  Someone looking for something different will find it here.

1 comment:

  1. Love these reviews!! It's a delight to have the teens reviewing the books.

    Benny Imura and his friends will return in FLESH & BONE (September 11, 2012) and FIRE & ASH (2013)

    In the meantime, there are thirteen pages of free prequel scenes for ROT & RUIN available on the Simon & Schuster webpage for the book. http://books.simonandschuster.com/Rot-Ruin/Jonathan-Maberry/9781442402324

    And there are twenty-five pages of free scenes set between ROT & RUIN and DUST & DECAY. Here’s a link to the main page; access the scenes by clicking on the banner that reads: READ BONUS MATERIAL BY JONATHAN MABERRY: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Dust-Decay/Jonathan-Maberry/9781442402355

    Additional free bonus scenes will be posed in 2012 prior to the release of FLESH & BONE.

    ReplyDelete