Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Delirium by Lauren Oliver


I loved this book. I deliberately read slowly to savor every word. It needed to simmer in my brain for a while before I could write this blogpost. I laughed at the preface of each chapter especially the sayings from the Book of Shhh, the Safety and Health and Happiness Handbook. Then I braced myself for what follows. Lena, almost 18 lives in a dystopian society where love is a sickness that must be "cured." The disease known as amor deliria nervosa is prevented by operating on teens when they reach 18 years-old. When the book begins Lena is looking forward to the surgery although she knows she will forget about her relationships and feelings for her best friend and cousin. About three months before her surgery the unspeakable happens and Lena falls in love. His name is Alex and he is beautiful and romantic and he introduces a whole other world to Lena. Lauren Oliver has another great book (BEFORE I FALL, for my review click here ) and teens will be drawn to it. The writing is wonderful and the characters are believable and likable. Read as an ebook arc from @netgalley and it will be published by Harper Collins February 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment